The biggest stress factor last summer was some unseasonable hive moves that had to be made mid-summer.
- One hive, of a long-standing hive host family with three children very interested in the bees, had to be moved because of a the discovery of a sting allergy on the part of the new family dog. Sorry, Maggie!
- One hive, of a long standing hive host family with chickens and a killer garden, because of my ineptitude with the Saint Paul licensure process.
- Two other hives in Saint Paul for the same reason.
- A new hive had to be moved because of an insistent neighbor who refused to sign the license.
Though my long-suffering assistant and I started out early each morning, we needed to move too many hives too close in succession and the moving ran into mid-day twice, which was really bad for the bees and very exhausting both physically and mentally.
Because of the large number of colonies lost at the end of the summer, I had a lot of equipment to get back into the garage. Consequently, I didn't get my honey extracted while it was still warm. Feeling pretty demoralized, I didn't heat up the garage to extract, so I'm looking forward to getting that done this spring. Fear not, hive hosts, the honey is coming!
I learned a lot last summer about organization and realized how thin I'd spread myself. I learned a lot about moving hives. I learned a lot about what NOT TO DO.
Post a Comment